Tuesday, May 09, 2006

I'm a bit overwhelmed at the moment. My husband is going to cover the World Cup in Germany. And my son and I will be joining him there just before the finals. Now, I have travelled alone with Riju before, but never on such a long haul, never to a foreign country (I've never been to a foreign country to begin with, darn it!), and never for a sporting tournament. Will I manage to reach Berlin safely where I meet my husband? We are travelling on an Emirates flight to Munich. After a 3-hr stopover at Dubai (strictly inside the airport for us), we'll be reaching Munich at 8.55 pm and then will proceed to Berlin on train. It sounds awfully complicated to me and god alone knows, how Riju will take to it. I don't know a word in German except 'Auf Weidershen' and 'Third Reich' and 'blitzkrieg'... none very useful I guess. Neither do I know a thing about emigration proceedings and stuff... what exactly goes on there? Please someone, assure me that everything's gonna be fine!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beware Munich - thugs and very unfriendly people.

Dubai - the less said the better; underneath the glitz of its swanky airport malls and duty free, lies a desert of deceit, international identity thieves, and well...paedophiles.

Berlin's fine...but only if you managed to get there.

Don't you have a direct flight from wherever you are to Berlin?

Mitul said...

Anon., thanks for all the assurance. I feel terribly relieved now. I don't think I could handle a normal 14-hour flight, but dealing with thugs, paedophiles etc are a cup of tea for me. Thank you once again!

Mind over Matter said...

Hey Mitul, it's gonna be fine. I think Anon is just pulling your leg and having a good laugh at your expense. Travelling abroad, if you haven't done it before, can appear daunting. But remember, the services are much better organised and rather idiot proof - so you don't have to worry on that front. As for the German, you have enough time to look up a few essential words - like Toilet, No Money, Help, Lost......:)

Anonymous said...

Ha! ha! ha! This mind over matter is one smart dude/babe. Hey, have a great time, Mitul!

Sammy Chanda said...

It's not a problem to move around on your own in any European country provided you know how to read the road signs.....

It'll be a cakewalk, trust me! Even I was alone and travelling for the first time with a one night transit in Jordon.To top it all, I had no foreign exchange except some Traveller's Cheque which I could encash only when I reach my destination.

So just chill out and enjoy the travel.You'll relive every moment.

Anonymous said...

Mitul,

We were just talking about you ( Munmun happens to be my better-half) and then reahced your post. Any my CV is available with Chumki to vouch that I am not a bad man after all.

Dont worry, if you can reach Stuttgart, rest of the headache is ours. We can as well go to Berlin together.

Chumki has my contact/email etc...please mail me.

Anonymous said...

Suddenly, a harmless 14 hour flight has become so very interesting, it seems! I'm sure this blog will be infinitely richer when the berlin trip is over. I don't know if I'm good in wishing this, but Mitul, you please brave a few thugs and pedos, if only to write about them. Cummon, great writers do rely on first-hand experience mostly, and "great readers" (ahem, ahem) rely on vicarious pleasures. Mostly. Won't you bear with some of 'em, pleeeaase???